Your basket is empty

Go to checkout
Monday - Friday

9am - 7pm


9am - 1pm



Light Centre , 9 Eccleston Street, London, SW1W 9LX

Get directions

London Natural Health Centre, 46 Theobalds Road, London, WC1X 8NW

Get directions

You’ve likely heard about the alkaline diet touted as the ultimate solution for health and vitality, with endorsements from Hollywood icons like Jennifer Aniston and Gwyneth Paltrow. But what exactly is this diet, and should you consider adopting it? Let’s delve into the details.

The alkaline diet, also known as the “alkaline ash diet” or “alkaline acid diet,” revolves around the premise that replacing acid-forming foods with alkaline-forming ones can revolutionise your health. The concept stems from the breakdown of food in the body, akin to a metabolic fire, leaving behind an “ash” that can be either acidic or alkaline. Proponents argue that consuming alkaline-forming foods can help balance the body’s pH levels and promote well-being.

So, which foods fall into each category? Alkaline-promoting foods include fruits, vegetables, tofu, nuts, seeds, beans, and lentils. On the other hand, acidic foods encompass dairy, eggs, meat, most grains, processed items, alcohol, and caffeine. The diet suggests allocating 80% of your daily intake to alkaline-forming foods and the remaining 20% to acidic options.

It’s essential to differentiate between the immediate acidity of a food and its overall effect on the body. For example, oranges contain citric acid but are classified as alkaline-forming due to their net alkalising effect post-metabolism.

Understanding pH levels is integral to grasping the alkaline diet’s principles. pH measures acidity or alkalinity on a scale of 0 to 14, with lower values indicating acidity, 7 being neutral, and higher values representing alkalinity. While the body rigorously regulates blood pH, urine pH fluctuations may not accurately reflect acidity or alkalinity.

Recent research sheds light on the potential health implications of dietary acid load. Studies from Japan found associations between high acid load and increased risk of heart disease and frailty in older adults. Additionally, Dutch researchers linked elevated acid load to lower bone density, particularly with higher meat-based protein intake.

Regarding cancer, theories surrounding the alkaline diet are intriguing yet inconclusive. Cancer cells produce acidic secretions, leading to the hypothesis that alkalising the cellular environment could impede cancer growth. While animal studies support this notion, human trials remain limited, necessitating further research.

Adhering to an alkaline diet entails prioritising whole, unprocessed foods rich in vegetable proteins, fruits, and vegetables. This approach fosters overall health by removing processed foods and embracing nutrient-dense alternatives.

Ultimately, is the alkaline diet the holy grail of health? While its principles promote wholesome eating habits that benefit all, definitive evidence supporting its efficacy still needs to be discovered. However, incorporating more alkaline-forming foods into your diet can enhance your overall well-being.

In conclusion, embracing the alkaline diet or prioritising whole, nutrient-rich foods lays the foundation for optimal health. So, why not embark on a journey towards wellness by nourishing your body with nature’s bounty?

With many tempting options, the path to vibrant health begins with a single choice. Embrace the alkaline diet or carve your path – the choice is yours.

If anything has come up for you due to this blog, I invite you to book a free 30-minute discovery call to see if a personalised nutrition and lifestyle plan might help. You can book yourself directly into my diary by clicking right here.