One of the things I love most about winter is that it is soup season, and soup is the easiest lunch or appetiser offering ever. This one is packed with delicious wintery flavours of celeriac with just a touch of nutmeg and coriander.
- 300g fresh fennel, finely chopped (including the green part)
- 230g celeriac, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp coriander seed
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 850ml water
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 140g butter
- Juice of 1 lemon
- salt & ground black pepper, to season
- A handful of fresh dill or fresh coriander, chopped, to garnish
Fry all vegetables in oil in a large pan over high heat for a few mins. Add the coriander seeds and nutmeg. Stir and fry for another minute. Add water and stock cube.
Bring to a boil and lower the heat. Let simmer for about 10 mins or until everything is soft. Add the butter and lemon juice, and stir.
Remove from the heat and use a stick blender to blend to the desired consistency. Season to taste. Garnish with fresh herbs.