People choose to cleanse for many reasons–to lose weight, to cleanse the liver of impurities, even for spiritual or religious reasons. Some cleansing plans allow you to only drink water, other fast, and juice/smoothie or take special supplement programme to support your body.
Cleansing and elimination is absolutely key for a healthy body. Outside of the naturopathic realm, many people see cleanses as something they decide to do a few times a year, when ideally it is more balanced to see cleansing as something the body does all the time. Try to live in a way where the body is getting rid of unwanted toxins EVERY DAY. The body actually wants to function like this!
Imagine treating your body like a freshly made bed. Each day you shake the bedding out to make it tidy again. Oxygen gets round, the blood flows better, your brain will function better, secretions and odours do not build up, your liver and kidneys empty themselves, you bowel gets rid of all of the waste, your skin looks bright, your hair shiny and strong.
How to Detox?
Human tissue laded with toxins cannot assimilate nutrients well or eliminate its own wastes efficiently. For example, tissue that needs repair; heals very slowly until toxins are removed.
Here are some signs of toxicity:
- Eye infections / itchy eyes
- Dark circles under eyes
- Menstrual problems / reproductive area problems / PMT
- Excessive mucus/catarrh
- inability to shake off colds/coughs
- Constant swollen glands – especially in throat
- Acne, skin rashes, eczema, psoriasis
- Body odour
- Bad breath
- Joint/muscle pain – e.g arthritis
- Sluggish metabolism
- Fatigue / exhaustion
- Strong reaction to alcohol
- Poor bowel movements / constipation
- Food intolerances
- Excessive cellulite
- Lumpy / painful breasts
- Water retention
- Mood swings, irritability, impatience
- Low libido
From detoxification you can achieve:
- Skin is clearer and smoother, hair and nails are stronger.
- Excess mucous in the lungs and nose clear up.
- You have more energy, flexibility and stamina.
- You are more alert.
- Weight loss, less cellulite and marks begin to fade.
- Your moods become lighter and mood swings disappear.
- You will sleep better and wake up ready for the day ahead.
|The body protects us from these toxins by storing them in our body’s cells and in the thick rubbery goo called Mucoid Plaque. This coats the inside of our stomach, intestines and colon.
This mucoid plaque eventually stops us from absorbing our vital nutrients. Suffocating our digestive system and causing allergies, parasites, and bad bacteria to thrive and cause uncomfortable and embarrassing ailments.
These toxins can be the foods we ate that could not be digested at the time, to the pills and medicines that we have taken, pollution from the environment, chemicals in skincare and household cleaners.
But when we allow the body to be clear, detoxified and energised then it looks like this:
Just as river life does not blossom or survive in contaminated and stagnant water.
First gentle steps to detoxing?
- Hot and cold showers: The contrast of the hot and cold gets your blood moving – vital for excellent health, lymphatic function and releasing toxins.
- Skin brushing: gets the lymph moving and helps to eliminate toxins. Work from the soles of the feet, in an upwards motion towards the heart.
- Get a re-bounder and do 15 minutes mini jumping per day. This will kick start the lymphatic system, help with weight loss (if that is required), to move on excess toxins.
- Take it easy with exercise as the body during detox / cleanse more energy to assist in eliminating all the toxins…